386 Alles St, Des Plaines, IL 60016

Call us:
+1 224 435-6179

How to Prevent Mold

How to Prevent Mold

How to Prevent Mold

Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. Mold can grow anywhere: on carpet, clothing, food, paper, and even in places you can't see, such as the backside of drywall, areas inside walls around leaking or condensing pipes, and above ceiling tiles.


The EPA recommends keeping indoor humidity between 30 and 60 percent. You can measure humidity with a moisture meter purchased from your local hardware store. You'll also be able to detect high humidity by simply paying attention to potential problem areas in your home. Telltale signs of excessive humidity include condensation on windows, pipes, and walls.


How to Prevent Mold and Mildew in the Bathroom:

The first step to preventing mold and mildew is making sure your bathroom stays well-ventilated.

  1. Spread towels out after use so that they dry more quickly.
  2. Minimize containers left in the shower for cleaning ease and better circulation.
  3. Wipe down the shower with a clean towel or squeegee after its last daily use.
  4. Choose shower curtains that dry and clean easily to help avoid soap residue, which fosters mold.
  5. Dry up wet materials quickly. It only takes mold two days to grow.
  6. Dry items thoroughly before storing them.
  7. Remove and replace sealant or caulking affected by mold.
  8. Use effective mold-killing chemicals to clean your bathroom, such as vinegar, bleach, or hydrogen peroxide to you, but make sure not to mix any of these products to avoid a toxic outcome.
  9. Open a window when showering.

If the mold and mildew on your fabric, upholstery, carpet, or furniture is beyond cleaning and drying, throw the item away or call a professional cleaning service. Don't take a chance with the potential health risks that mold and mildew can cause you and your family.